Many are the plans in a man’s heart,
but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.

Proverbs 19:21

I haven’t had to deal too much with insurance in the past. Yes, I’ve had 2 children, but overall it was a relatively simple process with some minor headaches. Anytime I would hear someone complain about what a pain insurance was, I just couldn’t empathize too much because that had not been my own experience.

Until now.

When we saw a specialist in May regarding D’s sensory processing issues, it was all completely out of pocket. It was a hefty sum, but we’re thankful God provided the funds.

At the end of May I met with the local school district special needs team. Together we all decided it would be best to have D assessed for areas that the school district might be able to offer services to him while in the classroom. (Read: FREE THERAPY).

D’s assessment is August 18th, but during our meeting in May, I was encouraged to get a second opinion, especially since we were considering therapy over the summer that would be more out-of-pocket money spent, not therapy covered through insurance. Both Hubs and I thought that was a wise move, so I made the appropriate calls and we waited.

And there was more waiting. We left for vacation. I called when we returned. The right paperwork had not been received. More calls. More waiting.

Another trip out of town. Another phone call. Still no paperwork sent. Another phone call, with frustration mixed into my tone of voice. Finally, the correct paperwork is received. It was now mid-July.

So while I had assumed we could have had the second opinion in place by now and even have been starting therapy, I took a deep breath and realized things simply were not going to happen in my timing. God’s timing is best. So we waited.

I had been told repeatedly that I would receive a call within 2 weeks once the initial paperwork had been reviewed by the child development department. If I had not heard back by early August, then I should call back.

So I waited. No phone call. No problem, I called them.

“Yes, I’m calling to find out the status of the intake form that was received by your department 2 weeks ago. I had been told it would be 2 weeks and to call back if I had not received a response.”

“What’s the age of the child?”


“Oh, that’s at least a year wait.”

This is where my jaw dropped wide open and then a huge gust of air was sucked into my lungs.

The person on the other end of the phone had to put me on hold to take another call, so I took a deep breath, started mumbling incoherently, and then waited for her to come back, thinking surely she misunderstood my request.

Once again, she confirmed we were on a waiting list and though it might happen earlier, it would be up to a year, we were at the tip of the iceberg right now. Simply put, there are not a lot of child development services that work with insurance companies, lots of insurance companies don’t want to cover the assessment, blah blah blah.

My heart sank. I’ve been a bit of an emotional wreck these days since being on birth control because I stopped taking the fluoxetine, which really helped with my mood swings. I could not quickly pull myself out of the frustrated and simply sad mood I launched into once I heard it would be a year of waiting.

The next day I received a call back from a message I had left earlier regarding the status of D’s form. I held out a little hope that maybe the other gal was just yanking my chain or something. Nope. The second person I talked to about the waiting list said it was more like 12 to 18 months before he’ll be seen.

Huh. And we wonder why so many kids go into the classroom with some serious issues and things aren’t corrected as they should be. Well-meaning parents may be doing the best they can but they get put on a waiting list. Many parents do not have the luxury of extra monies for finding the right doctor at the right time for their kids who have real needs.

So now we’re in a bit of another waiting game. Before making any major decisions as to which direction to go with this, we’ve decided to wait for the school assessment. While it will take a good month before we find out if D qualifies for an IEP (Individualized Education Plan), our hope is that they can give some insight into our choices in front of us.

Do we spend another hefty sum for another specialist who may in turn give us the same diagnosis as the first? Do we simply proceed with the suggested therapies given by the first doctor and hope that it will be effective? Or do we wait and pray that the estimated waiting time to be seen by a specialist covered under insurance will be shorter than what is expected?

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

Psalm 5:3